Hi, fans of Joe! Since I last posted, Joe got a big haircut via Joe Daddy's shearing kit and the decision was made that it was time to move Joe into the 2s class, even though he's still a couple months shy of the big t-w-o. Many of his friends *MARISSA, cough* had moved up into the new class and the teachers decided that he was going to be "too bored" if he stayed back with the younger folks. Here's a look at his new class' cubbies.
I work (and Joe goes to daycare) in an area that is primarily a community of newly immigrated Indians, which is why his class is made up of Anuli, Ruhi, Rajitha, Umer, Srikar, etc. I have to say that I had little contact with my new friends from India before about a year ago, but Miss Padma this year and Miss Datta last year provided a type of maternal care that I have rarely seen even among mothers themselves.
One of the main differences between his old classes and his new one is that his new one is focused on teaching and is slightly less sort of "free form". Miss Rita (his new teacher) was very impressed that Joe was immediately able to sort his number cards correctly on his first day of class.
To be honest, Joe had a little of an unfair advantage, because ever since he was born, we have counted "1, 2, 3!" in the elevator as we enter and leave our apartment (on the third floor). He loves watching the light change to say "1, 2, 3" or "3, 2, 1" and he loves pushing the buttons, so he's had a great deal of experience with 1, 2 and 3. Nevertheless, I just smiled and said, "Yes, he is the smartest child on earth." =)
Also, I was given a poster board and asked to make a family collage to be hung in the classroom. I waited until the last minute because I couldn't figure out how to do it in a way that would be cute, but my friend and coworker, Dee, came to the rescue and created a fantastic collage that Joe loves to see every day. His teachers say that he likes to look at it and point at me and say "Mommy!" Thank you, Dee!!!
The most important difference about Joe's new class is that the changing area has (drum roll please........)
A TINY TOILET! It's labeled and everything.
Joe had been interested in me and Joe Daddy using the toilet and he seemed to understand the concept, so we decided to get him a potty for home use too.
Every day Joe uses the potty a little more and his diaper a little less. Today he went for almost six hours only using the toilet and I feel like he would do even better if we were more consistent with putting him on the potty at home. He uses the potty almost exclusively at school. I'm so proud of him! His teacher said she thinks he will be in underwear for his second birthday. As a former nanny who potty trained a boy who was a couple months shy of four, this seems like a miracle to me. Joe is growing up! He'll kill me someday for uploading the following picture, but it's necessary and adorable.
To even the score, I scoured my computer to find a picture of me as a toddler on the toilet. I know I have one somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. I did find a file that included a picture of my brother on the potty, so I'll post that instead.
Last, but not least, Joe got to go on an adventure with Joe Daddy while Joe Momma was out of town... to Petsmart! They didn't pick any pets out to take home, but Joe still loved seeing all the different kinds of animals, especially the fish.
Next time: Valentine's Day!
---
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Joe looks a lot like your brother as a kid (more the picture at the door than on the toilet). I also like the pastoral scene outside the door.
ReplyDelete