Sunday, April 12, 2009

In the Beginning...

Joseph is here!! He was born April 4, 2009 at 8:09pm and weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces. The birth story (with pictures) can be found here.

Joe has been home a few days now and he's doing wonderfully. Our schedule is something like this:
1. Feedings/Diaper changing at 3, 6, 9, 12 (am and pm)
2. Sleep whenever we can
3. See guests periodically
4. Do chores (baby laundry everyday!, paperwork, emails, birth announcements, etc)

Unfortunately, because Joe was in the special care nursery, we were told that if he gets any illness during his first 8 weeks, he has to have a full workup including spinal tap! So, our guests have to "look but don't touch" until Joe Daddy's birthday (June 5th) to keep our little guy from picking up anything. It's a little bit of a bummer, but I'm sure the time will fly by.

Joe had his first pediatrician's appointment on the 10th. The ped we chose beforehand was on vacation when I gave birth, so we got switched to someone else in the same office. He's amazing! Henceforth, he will be referred to as Doc H. Doc H is about 30 years old, has young kids himself and was just all around awesome. Joe weighed in at 8 pounds 8 ounces, had very slight jaundice (we were told to put him next to the window and it would go away soon), but was otherwise looking perfect. Joseph did pee on the exam table, but they say that's normal.

Doc H was cool with my revised vaccination schedule and also fully supported my decision to bottle feed. He actually said that it would have probably been impossible to breastfeed anyway after the c-section and Joey's 5 day stint in special care -- not enough nourishment for the baby and excessively painful for me, because I would have had to pump exclusively. I was glad that I had trusted my instincts, because apparently I had made the right decision both for my health and Joe's.

Joseph has another growth check on Friday and I will have an OB appointment soon to check on my recovery progress. I gained 50 pounds during the pregnancy (I know, I know, be nice). So far in the past week, I've lost 25 pounds, so I'm halfway done. I still probably have about 5-10 more pounds that will be lost in the next week or two that will be made up mostly of getting rid of the rest of my water swelling and finishing up the post-baby uterus shrinkage. Then that last 15 pounds will have to come off with diet and exercise, but I'm ready for that. Here's a pic of me at 5 weeks along, 39 weeks along, and 1 week postpartum.



My best friend M will be coming up here in less than 2 weeks and I absolutely can't wait. Other than that, I'm just trying to take in every moment and freeze it in my mind. I know he won't be newborn forever.

Here's Joe Daddy and the bundle of joy having a 'moment' together.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great picture. One to keep forever!!

    ReplyDelete